Friday, September 26, 2008

netWORKING CCK08

This week has seen me doing less in the threads and more in the blogs. There's a depth in the blogs, a thoughtfulness that i am not experiencing in the threads (these feel like a tug of war played with spiders webs....)

The links made by Stephen in the daily, make for easy networking.
I am captured with provocative titles such as I need more blog friends. This gets to the heart of networking, if nodes dont connect, there is no net. And as one other person noted on Heli's blog, this is the actual work of networking, not just a theorising. I also tracked back in her bog a bit, and enjoyed the use of a photo gallery instead of the connector map concept formation which i have found too linear, too constraining- shape and sizes and lack of ability to put things in whether pdfs or pictures... Such a frustration. And am suddenly reminded of John Laws pinboard approach.
And this is what network connectivism learning is about, this fires off that synapse and a new thing happens that then fires into another synaptic space and where there are receptors again something else then happens...

The other blog of importance to me was Shelleys where there seemed an ah hah moment,
I had read through Krebs notes and wasnt in awe (went to his website and was much more impressed). The ppt didnt seem to mention work, it mentioned things like herds of cows and i was thinking rubbish. Takes work for it to be a network, its not the lego in a box, or if it is that's at a trivial level. There are maybe 2000 people in the course but its not a network unless they connect.
So its not connectivist learning unless they are connecting and learning...

The connecting may be quieter, doesnt have to be loud, or visible, but it does have to occur. Susan Leigh Star on invisible work would be a worthwhile tangent to explore on this...Star, S. L., & Strauss, A. (1999 ). Layers of Silence, Arenas of Voice: The Ecology of
Visible and Invisible Work Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 8, 9-30.

While this is interesting, I think actor-network theory has it covered. The only difference is the concepts are being drawn into education by another name. The social is seen more than the technological, but i think this too will come.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ailsa, thank you so much for the shout-out and the visit! Even the EXISTENCE of my work-related blog is somewhat contested at the moment (long story), so it's a special kind of sweetness to have it work out as intended... a way to think out loud (LOVE your blog title, by the way), and maybe occasionally start a conversation.

    I usually feel "smarter" in conversation, and that makes me think about synaptic firings as well.

    I haven't read any of Susan Leigh Star's work, and don't know much about actor-network theory, but I'm happy to be working away at CCK08 with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel me happy when reading your post, I have to connect you in my blogroll. I was just walking and found (in my mind) that I like personalities in blogroll, not only RSS feeds. It is not necessary to read every post but it is important to have a virtual community!
    Heli

    ReplyDelete